Carrot Seed Essential Oil
Carrot seed oil is an amber / pale-orangish brown coloured essential oil in appearance. It possesses an earthy sweet fragrance which is a characteristic of the “Daucus Carota” plant from which this oil is extracted.
“Daucus Carota” which also has several other names including Bishop’s face/Queen Anne’s Lace is a white flowering plant.
It is a native of the “Apiaceae” plant family which grows in the temperate regions of Europe and Asia. The carrot seed primarily contains the well-known pigment carotene, but does not contain the vitamins A and E or pro-vitamin A, which are found in the roost.
Another important constituent of the oil is “Carotol” which consists of 40% of the solution.
Like all other essential oils, the carrot seed oil is the “carrier oil” extracted from its source using the method of steam distillation of the seeds ; However, it must not be confused with “Carrot Oil’ obtained by the infuse the carrot in base oil.
Although one of the most underrated essential oils, this one has several aromatic and fitness related applications :-
- Helps in treating abscesses, boils, and other skin disorders
- Nourishes ,tightens & rejuvenates the skin
- Alleviates pain during menstruation
- Helps to stimulate the appetite
- Helps to relax / cure mouth ulcers
- Improves liver and gall bladder disorder, particularly hepatitis, colitis, and enteritis
- Helps to stimulate the lymph system
- Helps women in breast milk production post childbirth
- Relieves kidney stones and jaundice
Carrot seed oil leads to bleeding in pregnant women and hence, should be avoided in pregnancy.